Build a Natural House (Cancelled)August 03, 2020 - August 07, 2020
Home » Build a Natural House (Cancelled)
Explore using natural building materials and begin to develop the skills needed to build your own outhouse, garden retreat or even extend or build your own home.
Whatever your grand design, this practical course can help put some of those ideas into focus, pick up new skills and learn the tricks of the trade from an experienced builder and Master Carpenter.
Our Build a Tiny House and Build a Natural House course both sell out quick, for more dates please click here
- Duration: five days
- Upcoming dates: please see booking section below for all available dates
- Start and finish times: starts at 10am and ends at 4pm on the last day
- Fees: waged £650; low waged / concessions £600
- Includes: tuition, all materials, full board shared accommodation (single accommodation is available for an additional £80)
- What to bring: as this is a highly practical course, safety boots are required and waterproof clothing is advised
- Terms and Conditions:
- you must be 18 years or over to attend our courses.
- For full list of terms and conditions click here
What you will learn
This course is a great introduction to learning a whole host of natural building techniques in a unique, supportive and inspiring environment.
CAT’s Master Carpenter and star of George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces Carwyn Lloyd Jones will guide you through an inspiring week where you’ll explore all the basic elements of creating a natural earth building:
- The practicals and theory of groundworks and foundations
- Building sections so you gain experience in timber framing, strawbale, hempcrete, rammed earth and earth plastering
- Make a section of roofing using pre-cut rafters
- Use felt and batons to help insulate the structure
- Learn how to install slate on small area of the roof.
In this course you will gain practical experience, and understand how to combine the various natural materials in their own build, gain experience with a range of hand and power tools safely, how to mark out, measure and cut timber.
While we can’t turn you into a master craftsman, we can offer you the opportunity to get a feel for different building materials and understand where they can be used and understand the possibilities of using a range of natural elements.
Meet your tutor
Carwyn Lloyd Jones
Carwyn has over 20 years’ experience in the construction industry and is an expert in timber framing. Carwyn and his designs have starred in George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces and Cabins in the Wild; the Build a Tiny House course that he teaches at CAT has been featured in The Guardian.
Dieter has worked at CAT for the last 5 years teaching on short courses, operating the funicular railway and making products for the site. He designed and built a CNC machine (that has the capability of running off solar power) and a wind tunnel (for use in the graduate school).
Initially training in Silversmithing and Product Design, his interests lie in the sustainable values of materials, and the spatial experience in buildings. Dieter’s specialism in wood and natural wood treatments has led him to Yakisugi, a traditional Japanese method of wood preservation, which can be seen on several of the signs around site.