Learn basic carpentry skills while creating a garden getaway
Does the world of carpentry feel like one big mystery? Do you want to be able to use tools with confidence? Whether you’ve never touched a saw in your life or you want to improve your range of DIY skills, this course is a fun, relaxed way to learn basic carpentry techniques so you can get started on your next project.
- Duration: four days
- Upcoming dates: please see booking section below for all available dates
- Start and finish times: starts at 2pm and ends at 4pm on the last day
- Fees: waged £500; low waged / concessions £450
- Includes: tuition, all materials, full board shared accommodation (single accommodation is available for an additional fee of £60)
- What to bring: as this is a highly practical course, safety boots are required and waterproof clothing is recommended
What you will learn
During this course you will become confident and adept at using battery powered tools, hand tools, measuring and marking out joints while building a beautiful and functional shed, workshop, art space or garden getaway.
On this course you will:
- Build a shed form start to finish
- Become familiar with safe and efficient ways to use battery powered tools and hand tools including sawing accurately along a line
- Learn how to mark and measure basic carpentry joints
- Learn how to hang a door
- Discover what you need in a basic tool kit to carry out carpentry jobs at home
- Learn how to source timber and decide which wood to use for different jobs
- Learn about siting a shed in your garden
This course is designed for people who are absolute beginners in carpentry – no previous experience is necessary. It aims to provide a safe, welcoming and fun environment to build confidence in practical skills that will be useful for a range of home projects.
The shed will be available for one of the participants to purchase at the end of the course.
Meet your tutor
The tutor for this course is Emma Appleton, a carpenter, maker of Tiny Houses and natural builder.