Build a Tiny House (Sold out on this date)September 22, 2020 - September 25, 2020
Home » Build a Tiny House (Sold out on this date)
Gain the practical experience and key skills to build a tiny house all of your own.
Whether you’re planning to build your own home or just want to pick up a range of practical building skills, you’ll gain the knowledge and experience you’re looking for on our hugely popular tiny house course.
Our Build a Tiny House and Build a Natural House course both sell out quick, for more dates please click here
- Duration: four days
- Upcoming dates: please see booking section below for all available dates
- Start and finish times: starts at 9.30am and ends at 5pm on the last day
- Fees: waged £650; low waged / concessions £600
- Includes: tuition, all materials, full board accommodation
- What to bring: as this is a highly practical course, safety boots are required and waterproof clothing is advised
- Terms and Conditions:
- you must be 18 years or over to attend our courses.
- For full list of terms and conditions click here
- For details of changes we are making to support everyone’s safety and wellbeing, please visit our COVID-19 information for short course participants.
What you will learn
Learn how to make a beautiful and bespoke tiny house from the ground up, including the timber frame structure, interior and relevant renewable energy and compost toilet systems.
CAT’s Master Carpenter and star of George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces Carwyn Lloyd Jones will guide you through an inspiring week where you’ll explore all the basic elements of creating your miniature home, including:
- Building the floor and walls of a simple timber frame tiny house, approximately 6ft x 10ft
- Understanding the advantages of different layouts
- Cladding and insulating the walls
- Using tools safely
- Building different roof shapes
- Installing windows
- Fixing the structure to a trailer
- Including a compost toilet, renewable energy and heating
- Installing basic plumbing
Packed with hints and tips as well as talks from experts in the different topics covered, you’ll leave the course feeling ready to exert your artistic flair on a tiny house of your own.
We only have four days to do this though so you won’t build a tiny house from start to finish, rather we’ll have some pre-made elements to avoid unnecessary repetition and to help you progress through all the elements of the build in good time.
Meet your tutor
Carwyn Lloyd Jones
Carwyn has over 20 years’ experience in the construction industry and is an expert in timber framing. Carwyn and his designs have starred in George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces and Cabins in the Wild; the Build a Tiny House course that he teaches at CAT has been featured in The Guardian.
Dieter has worked at CAT for the last 5 years teaching on short courses, operating the funicular railway and making products for the site. He designed and built a CNC machine (that has the capability of running off solar power) and a wind tunnel (for use in the graduate school).
Initially training in Silversmithing and Product Design, his interests lie in the sustainable values of materials, and the spatial experience in buildings. Dieter’s specialism in wood and natural wood treatments has led him to Yakisugi, a traditional Japanese method of wood preservation, which can be seen on several of the signs around site.
Low Energy Buildings – Part B (Sold out)11th January 2021
Zero Carbon Britain: Live online27th January 2021
Sustainability and Adaptation for Cities and Communities (Sold out)8th February 2021