Energy Generation from SolarApril 06, 2020 - April 10, 2020
Home » Energy Generation from Solar
Join CAT Masters students for an in-depth week on harnessing solar power.
Gain an in-depth understanding of solar energy, including solar electric (photovoltaic) and solar thermal hot water, learning from experts with decades of experience in renewable energy systems.
- Duration: five days
- Upcoming dates: Mon 6th – Fri 10th April 2020
- Start and finish times: starts at 11am and ends at 4pm on the last day
- Fees: waged £750; low waged / concessions £700
- Includes: tuition, all materials, full board shared accommodation
- What to bring: as this is a highly practical course, safety boots are required and waterproof clothing is recommended
What you will learn
This week-long deep-dive into solar energy generation is part of CAT’s Masters degree Sustainability in Energy Provision and Demand Management.
Your highly experienced tutors will give you an in-depth understanding of the technological, environmental and social benefits and limitations of solar power generation.
You’ll form a critical appreciation of the function, technological aspects, resource potential, limitations, maintenance needs, associated carbon emissions and environmental impacts of solar power technologies.
Lecture topics include:
- Principles and practice of solar energy generation
- Solar resource – availability and limitations, both in the UK and internationally
- Principles of photovoltaic modelling
- Policy and economics issues, and planning, social and legislative aspects of energy provision from solar
- Solar thermal technologies for providing heat and power generation
The course also covers combined heat and power, biomass, heat pumps, solar thermal and district heating.
By the end of the week you’ll be able to systematically analyse solar energy resource availability in relation to demand trends, and to critically appraise using these sources of energy locally or at a distance through grid or storage networks.
Your experienced tutors will introduce you to the wider community of Master’s students working in the field of sustainability, which could open up a world of networking opportunities.
Meet your tutors
You will be taught by a range of expert lecturers and guest lecturers from CAT’s Graduate School of the Environment.