Flat-bottomed Willow Basket Making (Cancelled)October 10, 2020
Home » Flat-bottomed Willow Basket Making (Cancelled)
Learn to create willow baskets using the stake and strand technique and make your own beautiful willow basket.
Expert teacher and basket maker Pippa Scott will show you how to make a traditional round basket during this day long course.
An ancient and fascinating skill, willow basket making is an addictive hobby.
- Duration: 1 day
- Date: Saturday 10th October 2020
- Start and finish times: starts at 10am and ends at 5pm
- Fees: £65
- Includes: tuition, all materials, lunch
- Terms and Conditions:
- you must be 18 years or over to attend our courses.
- For full list of terms and conditions click here
- For details of changes we are making to support everyone’s safety and wellbeing, please visit our COVID-19 information for short course participants.
What you will learn
Learn to create baskets using the Stake and Strand technique: where the base is woven, stakes are pushed in or attached to create the sides. Once the sides are woven, these stakes are then used to create the border at the top.
You’ll also discover the wonderful nature of willow, learning about the growth, harvesting and preparation of this plant.
Throughout history, strong containers have been needed for all aspects of everyday life and the combination of lightness and strength make willow an ideal natural material to work with, using simple and non-specialist tools.
This course complements March’s Making Frame Baskets.
Meet your tutor
Pippa is a member of the Basketmakers Association, and began willow basket-making in 1987 – gradually moving on to sculptures, and larger structures for gardens.
She also grows and harvests her own willow.
Pippa’s endless enthusiasm for the subject is highly infectious, making her classes enjoyable for people of all ages and experience.