Introduction to Renewables for Households (Cancelled)April 18, 2020 - April 19, 2020
Home » Introduction to Renewables for Households (Cancelled)
Rethinking household energy provision – bringing energy into your own greener hands.
Where our energy comes from has a big impact, and to reach a Zero Carbon Britain it needs a major rethink. If you’d like to install renewables in your home, but are unsure how, what option to go for, and what the likely costs and benefits are, this course will give you a broad overview to help you make your decision.
- Duration: two days
- Upcoming date: Sat 18th – Sun 19th April 2020
- Start and finish times: starts at 10am and ends at 4.30pm on the last day
- Fees: £200
- Includes: tuition, all materials, full board shared accommodation
- What to bring: waterproof clothing is recommended
- Terms and Conditions:
- you must be 18 years or over to attend our courses.
- For full list of terms and conditions click here
What you will learn
Covering the basics of wind, solar PV, solar thermal, biomass and heat pumps, the course will enable you to identify which renewable technologies are best suited to your needs.
You will be guided in how to construct a household energy profile, and how to modify it to suit your available energy provision. We will look at the important points of technology selection and use, including options for energy storage. You will also learn where to find relevant data, how to analyse the data and take account of seasonal variations.
Topics covered include:
- Power and energy demand profiling
- Site assessment and technology selection strategy
- Accessing resource data
- Hybrid systems
- Basic frequency analysis and output modelling
- System basics for wind/solar/biomass/heat pumps
- Understanding the process of technology selection
- Energy storage and battery basics
A basic knowledge of MS Excel (or equivalent) is desirable for this course.
Follow on courses
This is the first in a series of monthly courses exploring renewable energy technologies. This first weekend course gives an overview of several renewables, followed by five one day courses providing in-depth information on a specific renewable. As a series these courses will equip you with the skills and knowledge to implement different renewable technologies in your home, however they can also be taken as stand-alone courses.
- Renewables for Households: solar PV – Saturday 23 May 2020
- Renewables for Households: wind turbines – Saturday 27 June 2020
- Renewables for Households: solar hot water – Saturday 18 July 2020
- Renewables for Households: heat pumps – Saturday 15 August 2020
- Renewables for Households: biomass – Saturday 26 September 2020
Meet your tutors
Alan is a Charted Energy Engineer and lecturer on our postgraduate courses here at CAT. His research ranges from numerical modelling of sustainable energy systems and resources in Europe, to developing international sustainable energy policy and strategy in post-conflict/post-disaster areas of South East Asia.
Entomology: the larger insects of Wales (Cancelled)12th June 2020
Build an Edible Garden (Cancelled)13th June 2020