Traditional Timber Frame Joints (Sold out)October 17, 2020
Home » Traditional Timber Frame Joints (Sold out)
A hands-on workshop giving you the skills to start working with timber frames
Learn how to measure, mark out and cut perfect joints used in traditional timber framing. This one day course covers all the basics of traditional joints, from choosing your timber and working out what kind of joint you need to using hands tools and power tools safely.
- Duration: one day
- Upcoming Dates:
- Start and finish times: starts at 10am and ends at 4.30pm
- Fees: £90
- Includes: tuition, all materials, lunch
- What to bring: as this is a highly practical course, safety boots are required
- Terms and Conditions:
- you must be 18 years or over to attend our courses.
- For full list of terms and conditions click here
- For details of changes we are making to support everyone’s safety and wellbeing, please visit our COVID-19 information for short course participants.
What you will learn
Get to grips with the initial stages of constructing a timber frame. Learn about the tools and techniques used in marking and cutting joints with a hands-on practical workshop from CAT’s Master Carpenter Carwyn Lloyd Jones.
The course is for anyone who is considering building their own timber frame structure, whether it’s a home, community building, bike shed or lean-to.
Topics covered include:
- Sourcing your timber
- Various combinations of joints in a timber frame
- What joint to use where
- Marking out your joints
- Using hand tools safely
- How to use power tools to cut out joints
You will gain practical skills and experience of materials, tools and construction used in traditional timber frame building, and you will see examples of different styles of timber frame as you explore the buildings at CAT.
Meet your tutor
Your tutor Carwyn Lloyd Jones has over 20 years’ experience in the construction industry and is an expert in timber framing. Carwyn and his designs have starred in George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces and Cabins in the Wild; the Build a Tiny House course that he teaches at CAT has been featured in The Guardian.
Low Energy Buildings – Part B (Sold out)11th January 2021
Zero Carbon Britain: Live online27th January 2021
Sustainability and Adaptation for Cities and Communities (Sold out)8th February 2021