CAT seeks a Chef to join our Cafe and Catering team and help provide our guests and visitors with delicious vegetarian food.
The Centre for Alternative Technology is an education, research and visitor centre demonstrating practical solutions for sustainability. CAT inspires, informs and enables people to achieve positive changes in their personal and work lives and local communities. CAT is a national charity based in mid Wales and celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2014.
This post will be based in and around CAT’s site located at the picturesque Llwyngwern site, within easy reach of Machynlleth, the Snowdonia National Park and Cardigan Bay. The site is also within the UNESCO Dyfi Biosphere reserve, which is an area noted for its natural beauty, biodiversity and active sustainability and renewable technology businesses and communities.
The Catering team aims to provide a high quality service to its range of customers, who include day visitors, school groups, students, course attendees, events and conference delegates, whilst operating under an ethical and sustainable trading policy. Current areas of operation include the main cafe and buffet functions in the WISE building.
The Chef is responsible for assisting in the operation and development of the cafe and catering services to a high quality, efficient and profitable standard, receiving excellent customer feedback, whilst operating within CAT’s environmental and procurement policies. The role combines general catering duties, both in the kitchen and front of house.
- Salary: £8.77 per hour
- Variable between 15-37.5 hours per week
- Responsible to: Catering Manager
- Working Days: Spread over 7 days on a rota basis, including evenings and early mornings Split shifts may be required, dependant on business requirements.
- Closing date for applications: 12pm (noon) Friday, 28th February 2020
- To assist with the overseeing and development of all catering.
- To assist with the setting of appropriate standards.
- To assist with the continual review and the development of quality and range of products and services, to increase profitability and customer satisfaction.
- To provide appropriate cover for the catering services at CAT.
- To prepare, maintain and develop high standards of food, service and presentation of meals and snacks.
- To be creative and inventive with food presentation for different customers and their different catering requirements.
- To ensure that a good range of freshly prepared meals and snacks are available for service, on the counter areas of the restaurant.
- To maintain high standards of cooking and serving of meals for both customers and large groups.
- To be versatile and resourceful in providing a wide range of catering services to customers, including self-service provision for groups, buffets or pre-booked meals and involved in menu planning.To facilitate the smooth and efficient day-to-day running of the CAT café which involves:
- Serving, liaising with customers and all front of house operations
- Till operation, counter sales and cashing up
- Kitchen operations
- Keeping the catering areas safe and clean
- Complying with HACCP and all environmental Health requirements
- To assist with replenishing and maintaining appropriate catering stock levels.
- To assist with staff training, development and motivation.
- To ensure compliance with CAT’s policies including Waste Management and Health & Safety.
- To assist with the maintenance of the fabric and the facilities of the restaurant, as part of the restaurant team.
- Any other appropriate duties as defined by the Catering Manager