CAT seeks an Engagement Manager to lead the delivery of CAT’s core sustainability themes in our site-based sustainable education engagement programmes.
The Centre for Alternative Technology is an education, research and visitor centre demonstrating practical solutions for sustainability. CAT inspires, informs and enables people to achieve positive changes in their personal and work lives and local communities. CAT is a national charity based in mid Wales and celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2014.
This post will be based in and around CAT’s site located at the picturesque Llwyngwern site, within easy reach of Machynlleth, the Snowdonia National Park and Cardigan Bay. The site is also within the UNESCO Dyfi Biosphere reserve, which is an area noted for its natural beauty, biodiversity and active sustainability and renewable technology businesses and communities.
The Engagement Manager will lead the delivery of CAT’s core sustainability themes through its site-based engagement programme. This requires working with a wide range audience, running from day visitors to schools and university groups. The Engagement Manager will also oversee the operation of CAT short course programme and work closely with the marketing team to help support the growth of these audiences.
- Salary: £21,100 per annum
- 37.5 hours per week
- Responsible to: Head of Eco Centre
- Working Days: Normally Monday to Friday with some evening and weekend work when required
- Closing date for applications: 12pm Friday, 14 February 2020
Content and development
- Work with the Head of Eco Centre to develop the on-site visitor, short course and education group offer and maximise synergies across these activities in terms of facilities and resources.
- Ensure formal education engagement activities can be delivered to meet the needs of the national curriculum (particularly in England and Wales) in a variety of subjects, noting the requirements of being a Welsh National Science Academy STEM hub.
- Produce and deliver training plans for all CAT staff carrying out engagement activities, to ensure quality and consistency of message and compliance with CAT policies.
- Liaise with the Zero Carbon Hub training manager on the delivery of onsite training modules.
- Work with the marketing team to drive the growth of school, university, group and day visitors.
- Maintain and build relationships with schools and teachers’ groups to secure visits to CAT.
- Look for opportunities to develop teacher training in sustainability.
- Ensure collection and analysis of feedback and data from customers to support ongoing improvements and demonstrate impact.
- Become familiar with key site engagement activities and provide direct teaching when required.
Management and administration
- Ensure the efficient and effective delivery of engagement activities to site-based audiences.
- Ensure departmental compliance with CAT safeguarding and health and safety policies
- Line management of staff within the engagement team involved in the delivery of the visitor, education and short courses programmes.
- Financial management and reporting for the engagement operations.
- Ensure close departmental liaison with the CAT hospitality team.
- Manage the delivery of outreach-based engagement activities as appropriate.
- Ensure that requests for Welsh language tuition can be met within the team when requested.
- Any other appropriate duties as defined by the Head of Eco Centre.