CAT seeks a Head of Policy and Communications to join our exciting new project, the Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab. They’ll be responsible for the overall management of the project, and developing and implementing policy and communications strategies for CAT.
The Centre for Alternative Technology is an education, research and visitor centre demonstrating practical solutions for sustainability. CAT inspires, informs and enables people to achieve positive changes in their personal and work lives and local communities. CAT is a national charity based in mid Wales and celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2014.
This post will be based in and around CAT’s site located at the picturesque Llwyngwern site, within easy reach of Machynlleth, the Snowdonia National Park and Cardigan Bay. The site is also within the UNESCO Dyfi Biosphere reserve, which is an area noted for its natural beauty, biodiversity and active sustainability and renewable technology businesses and communities.
Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab
CAT is launching a new Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab with support from the Moondance Foundation. This is a three-year project aiming to improve the capacity of councils and communities to turn climate emergency declarations into action and create systemic change in order to increase resilience to climate change.
This will be achieved by offering a programme of support aimed at increasing the competence, confidence and effectiveness of policymakers, communities and organisations in developing zero carbon policies and action plans.
This support will include:
- Using the Zero Carbon Britain model to provide people with the knowledge to create Zero Carbon Action Plans.
- Delivering Zero Carbon Britain training using a ‘train the trainer’ model to increase the skills and capacity of communities to take action on climate change.
- Supplying the tools to enable people to turn climate emergency declarations into action.
- Setting up a digital resource hub and online network to provide peer support and increase confidence of individuals and communities to take action on climate change.
In conjunction with the Zero Carbon Britain Hub, an Innovation Lab will identify key issues, priorities and tasks; develop ideas that impact on these areas; and create routes into larger scale impact or systems change.
The postholder will manage the Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab in order to deliver on the project’s outputs, outcomes and impact; and develop and implement policy and communications strategies for CAT.
- Salary: £41,000 per annum
- 37.5 hours per week
- Responsible to: CEO
- Working Days: Normally Monday to Friday
- Closing date for applications: 5pm Friday, 22nd November 2019
- Interview Date: Monday, 2nd December 2019
- To manage and lead the team, so that staff have the motivation and training to deliver the required levels of performance by: providing regular motivational team meetings and one-to-one supervision sessions; inducting team members; setting and monitoring performance objectives; agreeing training and development plans; and handling any performance issues.
- To manage the Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab in order to deliver on the project’s aims and objectives, outputs, outcomes and impact.
- To manage relationships with key stakeholders including funders, policymakers, media and agencies to ensure stakeholder satisfaction.
- To develop and implement a policy strategy and plans, in order to successfully influence UK, Welsh and local government policy.
- To develop and implement communications strategies and plans, in order to deliver on CAT’s organisational strategy and the aims and objectives of the Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab.
- To manage the budget effectively to deliver on the aims and objectives of the Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab and develop and implement policy and communication strategies and plans.
- To put in place effective systems, policies and procedures for the effective management of the Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab and CAT’s policy and communications.
- To work with the Head of Development to identify other sources of funding for developing the Policy and Communications , Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab teams.
- To be a member of CAT’s Senior Management Team and contribute to the overall strategic direction and effective leadership and management of CAT.
- Any other appropriate duties as defined by the Chief Executive Officer.