CAT seeks an Innovation Lab Manager to join our exciting new project, the Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab, and to design and build the innovation team model.
The Centre for Alternative Technology is an education, research and visitor centre demonstrating practical solutions for sustainability. CAT inspires, informs and enables people to achieve positive changes in their personal and work lives and local communities. CAT is a national charity based in mid Wales and celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2014.
This post will be based in and around CAT’s site located at the picturesque Llwyngwern site, within easy reach of Machynlleth, the Snowdonia National Park and Cardigan Bay. The site is also within the UNESCO Dyfi Biosphere reserve, which is an area noted for its natural beauty, biodiversity and active sustainability and renewable technology businesses and communities.
Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab
CAT is launching a new Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab with support from the Moondance Foundation. This is a three-year project aiming to improve the capacity of councils and communities to turn climate emergency declarations into action and create systemic change in order to increase resilience to climate change.
This will be achieved by offering a programme of support aimed at increasing the competence, confidence and effectiveness of policymakers, communities and organisations in developing zero carbon policies and action plans.
This support will include:
- Using the Zero Carbon Britain model to provide people with the knowledge to create Zero Carbon Action Plans.
- Delivering Zero Carbon Britain training using a ‘train the trainer’ model to increase the skills and capacity of communities to take action on climate change.
- Supplying the tools to enable people to turn climate emergency declarations into action.
- Setting up a digital resource hub and online network to provide peer support and increase confidence of individuals and communities to take action on climate change.
In conjunction with the Zero Carbon Britain Hub, an Innovation Lab will identify key issues, priorities and tasks; develop ideas that impact on these areas; and create routes into larger scale impact or systems change.
The postholder will manage the Zero Carbon Britain Innovation Lab, to improve the capacity of councils and communities to turn climate emergency declarations into action, identifying key issues, priorities and tasks, developing ideas that impact on these areas and creating routes into larger scale impact or systems change, in order to increase resilience to climate change.
- Salary: £38,000 per annum
- 37.5 hours per week
- Responsible to: Head of Policy and Communications
- Working Days: Normally Monday to Friday
- Closing date for applications: 5pm Wednesday, 20th November 2019
- Interview Date: Wednesday, 27th November 2019
- To work with the Zero Carbon Britain Hub Team and External Evaluator, to clarify aims and capabilities, identifying key issues, priorities and tasks the Innovation Lab could help tackle, assessing current and potential innovation capabilities and gaps
- To design the Innovation Team model
- To liaise with the Head of Development to identify other sources of funding for developing the Innovation Team model and building the Innovation Team
- To develop and implement Innovation Lab methodology, piloting and delivering Innovation Labs
- To put in place effective systems, policies and procedures for the effective management, monitoring and evaluation of the Innovation Lab in order to deliver on the project’s aims and objectives, outputs, outcomes and impact
- To work with the Graduate School of the Environment and contribute to teaching on the Masters in Behaviour Change and other Masters degrees
- To represent the Innovation Lab externally
- To liaise and work in partnership with appropriate external organisations, to support the needs of councils and communities to turn climate emergency declarations into action
- To manage external consultants and staff tasked with delivering training and consultancy
- To prepare marketing material and publicise the project and its activities
- Any other appropriate duties as defined by the Head of Policy and Communications